The slide presentations are available at the bottom of this page.
February is Teen Dating Violence Awareness and Prevention Month. This Webinar, sponsored by National Institute of Justice and the Government Innovators Network highlighted the latest prevention and intervention research.
Topics of discussion included:
- School-based teen dating violence preventive interventions with at-risk youth.
- The results of health-clinic interventions in reducing teen dating violence, birth control sabotage and sexual coercion.
- Links between pregnancy and interpersonal violence; ways of improving the lives of pregnant and parenting teens.
- Exploring ways to prevent teen dating violence and improve the lives of those impacted by teen dating violence.
National Criminal Justice Reference Service (NCJRS) - Special Feature: Teen Dating Violence
Strategies for Healthy Youth Relationships (featuring The Fourth R) - A consortium of researchers and professionals dedicated to promoting healthy adolescent relationships and reducing risk behaviours. We develop and evaluate programs, resources and training materials for educators and other front-line professionals who work with youth. In particular, we work with schools to promote the neglected R (for relationships) and help build this Fourth R in school climates.
Family Violence Prevention Fund (FVPF) - Mission is to end violence against women and children around the world. Instrumental in developing the landmark Violence Against Women Act passed by Congress in 1994, the FVPF has continued to break new ground by reaching new audiences including men and youth, promoting leadership within communities to ensure that violence prevention efforts become self-sustaining, and transforming the way health care providers, police, judges, employers and others address violence.
National Resource Center on Domestic Violence - Available the first week of March 2010 will be an online Toolkit on Runaway and Homeless Youth and Relationship Violence, providing guidance and materials for RHY programs and domestic and sexual violence programs,
Healthy Teen Network - A national organization focused on adolescent health and well-being with an emphasis on teen pregnancy prevention, teen pregnancy, and teen parenting. We recommend especially the following selected articles (available on website):
- Interpersonal Violence and Adolescent Pregnancy: Implications for Practice and Policy
- Boys will be Boys: Understanding the Impact of Child Maltreatment and Family Violence on the Sexual, Reproductive, and Parenting Behaviors of Young Men
- Widening Our Lens: A Comprehensive Strategy to Address the Impact of Child Maltreatment, Interpersonal, and Family Violence on Youth
National Center for Prosecution of Child Abuse (NCPCA) at the National District Attorneys Association - For information regarding sexting (such as statutory compilations, research and training opportunities). We are available to do educational presentations on sexting and other internet safety issues.